Wednesday, February 01, 2017


Feinstein: Senate Legal Advice Needed Over FOIA Request

[UPDATE: I've been informed FOIA doesn't apply to the legislative branch. That should change!]

My January 30 Freedom of Information Act request to Feinstein has generated a reply via email. Quite surprisingly, she's referred the matter to the Senate Legal Counsel and omits reasons why. Talk about an imperial elected official! The exchanges with her office up to now:

-----Original Message-----
From: requests@feinstein.senate.gov
To: mpetrelis@aol.com 
Sent: Wed, Feb 1, 2017 8:11 am 
Subject: Confirmation receipt 

Dear Mr. Petrelis, Thank you for your message. This response acknowledges receipt of your request. Due to the nature of your inquiry, we have referred the matter to the office of the Senate Legal Counsel. At your convenience, please provide us with a mailing address and they will be in contact with you regarding your matter. 

Regards, The Office of US Senator Dianne Feinstein
-----Original Message-----

My reply:


Dear Unnamed Sen. Feinstein Staffer,

I have received your letter. I wish to learn what precisely in my FOIA request demanded that you seek advice from the Senate Legal Counsel. Such a delay in processing must be fully explained with details behind your thinking shared with me.

There is no need to slow the process down even further by asking for my snail mail address. As I stated in my FOIA request, I wish to receive all responsive records and correspondence with your office in digital format and provided via email.

Please confirm receipt of this follow up letter and respond to my need for details about you referring the request to a third-party, by the close of business today. Thanks.

Best,
Michael Petrelis
San Francisco, CA 94103
Phone: 415-621-6267

My FOIA of January 30, 2017:

Dear Sen. Feinstein,

Under the full provisions of the Freedom of Information Act, I am requesting the following public documents. 

A list of all employees in every one of your offices in Washington and California containing this information:

All current names of staffers, legislative aides, assistants for each of the Committee Assignments you have in the US Senate, job titles and descriptions, direct office phone and fax numbers, email addresses, cell phone numbers, all Twitter, Instagram and Facebook or other social media outlets and platforms, accounts and profiles.

I wish to receive all responsive records in digital format via email. 

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email them to me.

Please confirm receipt of this FOIA request by the close of business today.

Thanks in advance of your prompt attention and I look forward to responsive production and release of said public records requested.

Regards,
Michael Petrelis
San Francisco, CA 94103
Phone: 415-621-6267

No comments: