Friday, September 25, 2015

Prop I Posters: Yes vs. No and Best Messaging for Voters

When I think of my Mission neighborhood, my mind conjures images of colorful Latino murals, the Roxie and Victoria theaters, and the 16th and 24th Street BART plazas among other site-specific scenes. What I never think of is the 1970s "I Heart NY" design for the Big Apple.

That design for New York City is the basis for the Save the Mission's poster about the market-rate housing moratorium on the November ballot designated Prop I. Frankly, I think it sucks. The bulk of the poster is taken up with "I Heart SF" appearing horizontally, while the wording which way to vote message of "Yes on Prop" is on the side left side in down-to-up vertical lettering.


Maybe there's some secret political playbook Save the Mission and Plaza 16 are using, that says a bifurcated message is the best way to motivate voters, but I think the Yes on I's sign is confusing and sorely lacks a Mission-specific message.

For the No on I campaigners, they've gone the traditional route. Their posters clearly read "No On Prop I" and they use an eye image above the letter I. Nothing says San Francisco except in the phrasing about joining the local Democratic Party in voting against the prop.

As with so much from Plaza 16 and Mission Inc groups, especially the leaders at the Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA), their campaign poster is confusing and muddled.

No comments: