Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Lambda Legal's Cathcart on Two-Month Sabbatical



Some executive directors at Gay Inc groups sure are lucky when it comes to compensation and perks. Take for example, Kevin Cathcart who is head of Lambda Legal based in New York City. According to Lambda Legal's IRS 990 filing for 2012, Cathcart total compensation package was $318,650.

A queer legal eagle tipster alerted me yesterday that Cathcart was supposedly taking the summer off from his duties at this major LGBT advocacy organization, so I emailed him and received an auto-reply:

I will be out of the office until September 3, 2013 with NO access to this email account. THIS ACCOUNT IS NOT TAKING MESSAGES so I will not know that you have written. If you are writing concerning an administrative or general Lambda Legal matter, please contact Acting Executive Director Fran Goldstein [...]

I emailed Goldstein and received this reply:

Kevin is on sabbatical until Sept. 3. As his email message explains, I am Acting Director in his absence - a role I have played several times in the past 15 years I have been on staff The rest of the senior leadership team is also here, doing our usual work. We are in contact with Kevin, as needed. We are proud of our sabbatical policy which is available to employees throughout the organization and recognizes longevity and hard work. 

Let's hope he has a productive sabbatical and that it is of benefit to the LGBT community.

2 comments:

Rusty said...

Another overpaid managerial type. This is why I often hesitate to donate money to "non-profit" organizations -- one seldom knows how much of one's donation is misspent on money-grubbing managers' salaries.

Unknown said...

We have to follow the money at Gay Inc and also keep tabs on the staff.